Sunday, April 29, 2007

death by gardening

Ok gardening is not my forte... i am secure enough in myself to admit that in some ways i am a total 'girl' and i absolutely HATE dirt under my fingernails. i also don't find anything calming or satisfying about digging around in the dirt and unearthing all of it's creepy crawlies, who may or may not then take it upon themselves to get on me as a result. i just plain don't like it. So wonder of wonders i just moved into a house set on a half acre of land, with roughly 1/4 of which already an established garden area.

Why not plant grass over it and pretend i never saw it?? Well because i may not like gardening but i love to make things from scratch and having the opportunity to grow my own fruits and veggies and be able to learn how to can is just way too tempting for this poor girl to resist...so garden hoooooooooooooooe!

There are already raspberries, strawberries, and grapes coming up in the garden...now for the veggies and that's where my life gets tricky. i am litterally flying here on a wing and a prayer because the only veg i've been able to make grow in my life has been tomatoes and they took over the entire yard the last time i grew them and we had sooooooooooooooooo many tomatoes i had to start pushing tomatoes like a drug dealer on the corner. "Pst...hey you! lady! Hey...you want some tomatoes? eh? They are good for you i swear...they'll grow hair on your chest! Come onnnnnnnnnn all your friends are doing it!" So tomatoes i can do....but peas on the other hand...

Yesterday my 15 year old nephew came to help me with some yard work and we ended up planting our peas in what i can only describe as a moat...the dirt was too hard so i asked him to put on a little bit of water and let it soak in...apparently 'a little bit of water' translates into 'enough to fill a swimming pool' in teenager'ese. i would post pictures of me balanced on the edge of the muddy sludge planting a tiny little pea plant but theres never a camera around when you need one. Some how i don't hold out much hope for the peas...sad really they were too young to die.

Today i plant tomatoes, after all a girl needs to have some of her hard work pay off, but tomorrow it's pumpkins and watermelon....wish me luck!! i'll post pictures of my garden once i get it all sorted...which could be next winter.

No comments: